One Praying Mother, One Lucky Daughter

clip_image002
I was not a please-pray-for-me person. In short, I used to believe that my prayers alone were enough. Why bother when I could pray directly to God?

Over the years, my exposure and service to Singles for Christ and The Feast has led me into the realization that I do need prayer partners. It has amazed me how a group of praying people can actually move mountains. Miracles have unfolded right before my eyes. And hope, no matter how seemingly distant, has actually been just at the corner.

“Never underestimate the power of praying for one another.”

And yes, this passage holds true to its every word: WE ARE STRONGER TOGETHER IN PRAYER.

Intercession. You can pray for Mother Mary’s intercession; you can pray for one another. The very idea of praying for one another has been dismissed by many believers, all for the wrong assumption that God is just there 24/7. I used to be one of those, until God led me into a series of events, unpleasant circumstances which challenged my faith. Humility came out of the picture when I turned to my friends, brothers and sisters whose prayerful hearts were all geared up, ready to face all sorts of challenges and fear. And indeed, God proved them right.

My Prayer Warrior

The other half of my story is about intercession by my Prayer Warrior.

I remember a time in my youth (high school days) when I purposefully closed my ears to my mother. I was about to go out with my boyfriend when she stopped me. My young heart could hardly understand. And instead of heeding her advice, I decided to still hang out with him at my best friend's place. I didn’t mind her, to be exact. Came afternoon, I went home ecstatic but with a tinge of edginess. I mentally prepared a ton of explanation; but when my eyes met hers, I was tongue-tied. She served me some snacks and gently told me to sit in front of her. She seemed to be enjoying gazing at me while I ate, but her eyes couldn’t deny the sadness registered.

“Dolly, I shed a tear for you when you turned your back on me.”

I couldn’t bear to look at her.

“My daughter, I want you to know that I have been praying for you. I, your mother, will always pray for you.”

Tears rolled down my cheeks uncontrollably. I was silently crying… out of embarrassment and pain. That was my young soul’s response to the gentle concern of a praying mother.

I was awakened from my slumber. Since then, no obstacle could pull me down. More heart-breaking trials came, but she remained not just a tangible help but a prayer warrior wherever I went.

With all my concerns and giant fears at present, there’s always someone behind me. And this time, the truth will be a secret no more… the truth that I am fearless because of my top-caliber prayer warrior – my Mamang.

"I, your mother, will always pray for you.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Spark of Hope

Love. Trust. Pain. Forgiveness

Go on and risk everything, or go back and forget everything